Should I upgrade my G3 from 512MB to 1GB?

Christopher O'Brien

05 Jul, 2013 12:39 AM

The RAM for this model seems hard to find on eBay, plus Apple recommends I have a professional do it. Is it worth upgrading for overall performance of TenFourFox 17?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 05 Jul, 2013 01:48 AM

The extra memory primarily benefits JavaScript-heavy sites. TenFourFox uses a stack allocation of 1GB for JavaScript, which is used for temporary data and compilation. On a site with very complex JavaScript requiring a lot of processor stack, this can cause a Mac with less than 1GB of RAM to "swap," meaning things have to be shuffled out to the hard disk temporarily and later loaded back. If you are running multiple applications at once, you get into a low memory situation obviously much sooner.

On your G3, the hard disk is also likely to be slower than other Power Macs, so the swap penalty is much higher than a later model. If you are surfing relatively light pages, or use things like NoScript to suppress JavaScript most of the time, there may not be enough memory pressure to make the extra 512MB of RAM worth it in many situations. However, were it me, since this is the relatively least expensive way of improving the computer's overall performance, I'd go for it. Almost all of my Power Macs have very large amounts of RAM and many of them have the supported maximum.

2. 2 Posted by rccharles on 12 Aug, 2013 04:17 PM

I noticed an improvement in performance with one gig of memory in my iMac g3 600.

Try OWC.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iBooks-PowerBooks/

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

22 Sep, 2020 09:13 AM
21 Sep, 2020 08:35 PM
20 Sep, 2020 04:07 AM