Ebay and Trustpilot crash TenFour Fox

thespottyfox

16 Jun, 2020 12:54 PM

Hi
Recently I'm finding more websites are causing Ten Four Fox to crash - Trustpilot and Ebay are the two examples.
Is it just the case that as time goes on more and more websites will stop supporting TenFourFox or can this problem be resolved in a future release?

Thanks for providing a great browser for Power PC users when all the major browsers have abandoned us!!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 17 Jun, 2020 02:09 AM

I am not able to cause the browser to crash on any of the test machines with Trustpilot or eBay. In fact, I periodically use eBay and Paypal for purchases on my own G5. Is it a particular auction that's crashing for you?

The most common crash bug is low memory. How much RAM is in your system?

The second most common crash bug is a weird stuck setting or a misbehaving addon. Have you tried resetting your profile? (See Recent Articles below.)

2. 2 Posted by thespottyfox on 18 Jun, 2020 11:16 AM

Hi- Thanks for your reply

My machine is a Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz PowerPC processer with 2 Gig of RAM and I'm running OSX 10.5.8

With Ebay it wasn't a particular auction - it just crashes after about 30seconds of the home screen being open and also I tried going straight to the log-in page and it crashed as I was signing in.

I do have Adblocker Ultimate running in the top right hand corner of the browser window - it's the only extension/add on I have and I'm not even sure whether I installed it - does it come already installed with TenFour Fox? As per my previous post - I went looking to browse extensions the other day and couldn't find a way to do it but you already answered that enquiry so I understand that. Maybe Ad Blocker (which does a great job!) is blocking certain scripts on these sites which then causes them to crash?

I haven't tried to reset my profile in TenFour Fox yet - the help guide states that afterward I will have to re-install any add-ons that I have and so I'm worried that I'll lose Adblocker Ultimate and won't be able to re-install it?

Many thanks

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 18 Jun, 2020 11:02 PM

Yes, I definitely can't reproduce that. I just checked, and I can't trigger anything. Do you have any crash reports or anything in your console log? I don't need the entire text, just the last few lines around when it goes bang. Those may have some clues as to what's going on.

You are correct, you would have to reinstall Adblocker Ultimate. I would make sure you have a copy of the .xpi first before doing a profile reset. Unfortunately, I don't know off the top of my head which version was last compatible with Firefox 45, which is the underlying platform base for TenFourFox.

4. 4 Posted by thespottyfox on 19 Jun, 2020 05:59 PM

I've just tried to log in to Trustpilot and it crashed - but it was ok until that point, so I could search and read reviews but when I tried to sign in TenFourFox crashed. I also tried to signin to Ebay and that crashed TenFourFox again after about 30 seconds of the window being open. Each time the following pop up window gave me an option of sending a report to Apple, so I've copied those crash reports out to text files and attached them. Sorry I've sent the whole file because they don't mean anything to me so I wouldn't know which was the important bit.
    I hope they're helpful.

I don't really want to take the chance of losing Adblocker Ultimate just for a reset if I can't be sure I can re-install it - it's far too useful to lose it. It doesn't tell me what version it is but I did try to update it and it said no updates found.

Thanks

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 19 Jun, 2020 06:45 PM

Both of these crashes are in JavaScript. Again, I can't replicate them, so I wonder if this is stressing potentially iffy hardware. Something to consider trying is enabling "Basic adblock" (go to Preferences, select the TenFourFox tab). This will not override Adblocker Ultimate but it might filter some other scripts that could be overloading your machine.

6. 6 Posted by thespottyfox on 22 Jun, 2020 10:58 AM

Thanks. I had a look and I already have 'enable basic adblocker' enabled. I could try turning Adblocker off and seeing if it's that that's causing the crashes.
    The Javascript I have installed is J2SE 5 version 1.5.0_30-b03. There's an older version below it also. These were downloaded via software update back when it had updates for this system - could the problem lie with a corrupt Javascript application?

7. 7 Posted by thespottyfox on 22 Jun, 2020 11:18 AM

I've just disabled Adblocker Ultimate and tried to login to Trustpilot and it still crashes TenFourFox so it can't be Adblocker. Another thing worth noting is everytime I start up TenFourFox, Little Snitch alerts me that it wants to connect to 'adsubtract googlecode.com' - I always say yes because I assume it is Adblocker connecting to a database but it might be another ad blocker I installed at some point still at work. This might not be causing any problems but I guess it needs to be taken into account. Nothing called Adsubtract appears in the add ons window.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac