Another issue with Facebook

Michael McMurtrey

05 May, 2020 09:11 PM

Beginning yesterday, May 4, Facebook's "Like" and "Share" options and comments on posts disappear whenever I cursor over them. Also, I'm no longer getting notices of updates. I'm now running FPR 22, but never got a notice about it (or FPR 21).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 05 May, 2020 10:35 PM

Which version of Facebook do you use? Mobile, old desktop or new desktop (see screenshots)?

As to the update notices, I can't say what's wrong. Please make sure you have 'check for updates' checked in Preferences>Advanced>Update.

2. 2 Posted by Michael McMurtr... on 05 May, 2020 11:55 PM

I'm using old Facebook; I didn't even know there was a new one (no notification). I normally use TenFourFoxBox for Facebook, but this new issue manifests itself with both that and TenFourFox.

Here are my computer specs. OS is 10.5.8.

Model Name: Power Mac G4
      Model Identifier: PowerMac3,6
      Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
      Processor Speed: 1.25 GHz
      Number Of CPUs: 2
      L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
      L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
      Memory: 2 GB
      Bus Speed: 167 MHz
      Boot ROM Version: 4.4.8f2
      Serial Number (system): XB40905UQ6P
      Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000A95CFC548

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 06 May, 2020 05:06 AM

This may be a glitch on Facebook's side in the process of switching to the new desktop layout. I.e., the old layout is adversely affected by some feature or change in the new layout. I've seen a few of these issues come and go during the last weeks. Right now they're testing and changing a lot in the new layout. There is pretty much nothing we can do about it. Everything is changing too quickly and the old layout will be obsolete in a few months, anyway, so it's really not worth even thinking about fixing it.

Officially, Facebook does not support TenFourFox with its new desktop layout even though the new one works better and quicker for our browser than the old one. A prerequisite to seeing it is changing the useragent to Firefox 52ESR or higher (Preferences>TenFourFox). It's not offered to all users, yet. As usual, Facebook rolls out big changes over a long period of time. I cannot say yet what will happen to TFF users when they switch off the old layout completely and force all users to the new one.

I can confirm the bug you describe in the old layout. The new layout is not affected by this.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 May, 2020 06:34 PM
22 May, 2020 06:41 PM
17 May, 2020 03:27 PM