YouTube Video Problem

Stefano

20 Sep, 2018 06:09 PM

Good evening,
I have a problem with Tenfourfox, I have a Powe Mac G5, 2 CPU 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, with OS X 10.4.11. Since a few days ago youtube does not let me see the videos. The black screen appears on the screen with a message "the browser does not currently recognize any of the available video formats". I've tried various versions of Tenfourfox but the problem remains. Please help me, this problem suddenly appeared.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 20 Sep, 2018 07:12 PM

YouTube seems to have removed VP8 support for a lot of old videos (or: our VP8 implementation is somehow broken?) – the solution for now is: Go to Preferences>TenFourFox, then turn on VP9 support by checking "Enable MSE/media quality options (slower, if available)"

2. 2 Posted by Stefano on 20 Sep, 2018 09:40 PM

Thank you so much for your help, with this option now it goes. so is it a problem that has come to everyone in these days? will it be solved?

3. 3 Posted by unioncityblue on 21 Sep, 2018 01:52 AM

OS X 10.4.11
    eMac - 1.42 Ghz PowerPC G4
    1 GB RAM
    TenFourFox 38.9.0
    Flash workaround installed years ago. Lol

Hello folks.

As Stefano notes above, Youtube now (a few days ago) presents with...
    Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available. Click for questions about HTML5 video.

As a kinda strange workaround, if I click on a random video in the right-hand scrolling window and let it play for a few moments, I can get the original video to play by clicking TenFourFox's back-button.

It unfortunately doesn't work for all videos.
    It also looks like... Enable MSE/media quality options (slower, if available) is not available in TenFourFox 38.9.0 preferences!

Chris Pederick's User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 has no effect.

Can I alter anything in about:config

Greg.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 21 Sep, 2018 02:38 AM

Greg, 38.9.0 does not support MSE. You'll have to update.

It does indeed simply look like MSE is now a requirement, so this will be preffed on by default in FPR10 (it can still be turned off if users require it).

5. 5 Posted by unioncityblue on 21 Sep, 2018 10:48 PM

Thanks Cameron.

I will do some comparative testing (in and out of safe-mode) of FPR 9 against TenFourFox 38.9.0

TenFourFox 38.9.0 was very stable for me for the last couple of years, with the vast majority of web-pages rendering quickly along with the aid of Giorgio Maone's NoScript 5.1.8.4

Preliminary: Buffering and Youtube's choice of auto speed is a bit sketchy.

Thank you for all your hard work, it's very much appreciated.

Talk in a few days.
    Greg.

6. 6 Posted by FredM on 22 Sep, 2018 10:03 PM

I've gotten the same problem and MSE works, but it's too slow to listen to music; it keeps pausing with the rotating circle, even after the gray line at the bottom seems to indicate that it's loaded all the way.

7. 7 Posted by FredMm on 23 Sep, 2018 02:19 AM

Without MSE yputube claims that my browser (10.4 fox 7450, downloaded yesterdat) doesn't support html5. Why?

8. 8 Posted by rafaelrosa81 on 26 Sep, 2018 03:22 AM

Hello, guys. Taking advantage of the space of this post, I come to ask a question: Is it possible to watch hangouts live on YouTube? I own a PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.4.11 and Power PC 1.5 Ghz processor with 1GB of memory. I have already installed two plugin programs - Perian and AVC1 Decoder and nothing. About recorded videos, I can watch them normally. On the HTML5 YouTube page, the only bugs it shows that are not installed are H.264 and MSE & H.264. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 29 Sep, 2018 05:59 PM

Rafaelrosa81, if hangouts require H.264 (even though I wasn't able to confirm this on any Google help page) you're out of luck. Perian and other QT plugins work in QuickTime Player, but not in TenFourFox. The only chance I see for PPC users is to update to 10.5, install Safari with Leopard Webkit (which has H.264/MP4 hardware support) and try if it works.

Cameron, while checking this I noticed that Safari 5/LWP doesn't support MSE but still plays H.264 videos.

10. 10 Posted by Joachim on 07 Oct, 2018 10:59 AM

Dear Chris, thank you so much for your help solving this YouTube problem. BTW, is it recommended to keep the checkbox "Enable MSE/media quality options (slower, if available)" always checked, not only for YT?

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Oct, 2018 11:10 AM

Joachim, you can keep it checked, it's likely to become checked by default in the next browser update anyway.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 07 Oct, 2018 10:54 PM

Yes, it will be the default in FPR10.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Immagine_1.png 687 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Oct, 2018 04:12 PM
15 Oct, 2018 06:02 PM
13 Oct, 2018 08:46 PM