Flash and H264

jesshampshire

07 Mar, 2015 11:05 PM

Mozilla are developing a Flash substitute called Shumway. It is an extension, not a plug in, so should work, however it seems likely to me that it would be platform dependent, would it be possible to include it in tenfourfox? (Assuming flash is at all relevant by the time it is properly functional).

I notice Firefox now ships with OpenH264 plugin. Would it be possible to make the quicktime enabler functionally equivalent? (Even if the video still appears in a separate window). Though it would be nice if the native video formats were given a higher priority on youtube. (Though viewtube would solve this anyway.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 08 Mar, 2015 02:48 AM

1. Assuming Shumway makes no assumptions about the system such as byte order, it should work on TenFourFox (but may be substantially slower). However, getting it to a useful state is likely some time off in the future.

2. I don't understand what you mean by functionally equivalent; the video opens in a separate window now. The real solution is to embed or connect an H.264 decoder into the browser itself. This is possible, but non-trivial. It is not likely to happen for TenFourFox 38 (IonPower is the highest priority).

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 08 Mar, 2015 08:29 AM

Shumway (https://github.com/mozilla/shumway/) can be installed as an extension. It used to work (rudimentally; swf files only, no flash movies), but stopped working with TFF somewhere between version 0.8.75 and 0.10.xx. I never found it to be of much use and stopped following its development a while ago. v0.8x works very nicely with TFF 31 (and much faster than with TFF 24 or 29 so it's even usable on my Pismo), but as soon as you update the extension to a current version, it's broken.

3. 3 Posted by jesshampshire on 15 Mar, 2015 01:21 PM

(Can't see the reply I made, so trying again)

I don't understand what you mean by functionally equivalent;

I mean so it starts playing the video when openH264 would, rather than through menus. (And identifies itself to sites in the same manner as it, too). If the video has to be in a window as at present, rather than in the page, then that would be fine.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac