[NEWS] Mozilla considers H.264 video support

AI

23 Mar, 2012 09:52 PM

Mozilla considers H.264 video support after Google's WebM fails to gain traction (March 14, 2012)

Mozilla's director of research Andreas Gal has proposed enabling mobile H.264 video decoding via hardware or the underlying operating system, signaling the end to the group's war on the Apple-led H.264 video codec. The move is necessitated by the overall lack of support for Google's WebM video codec, which Mozilla and Google hoped would replace H.264, the technology backed by Apple, Microsoft, Nokia and other commercial vendors. Mozilla's war on H.264 has gone on for nearly three years, but now the company's leading developers have admitted, "we lost."

[more] http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/14/mozilla_considers_h26...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 23 Mar, 2012 09:55 PM

Yes, we're well aware of this. See the development blog comments.

2. 2 Posted by spamfilter on 23 Mar, 2012 10:03 PM

Is that official SPAM from AI ? ;D

3. 3 Posted by AI on 24 Mar, 2012 02:44 AM

@spamfilter: No, just being silly... but I seriously do think this is the most significant news to come out of Mozilla in the past 3 years, and just thought TFF users who visit this forum would want to hear about it. I confess that I missed the dev blog comments mentioned above, and dont see a comments search feature. I apologize if I was being redundant. =)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 28 Mar, 2012 11:49 PM

No problem. H.264 support is definitely an important move. This website is meant as a support forum however (questions/suggestions/problems); everything else goes into the development blog :-)

5. Chris (chtrusch) closed this discussion on 28 Mar, 2012 11:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac