controlling tenfourfox's network traffic

Bolo -- Josef T. Burger

20 Mar, 2020 05:21 PM

Hello. I was recently examining network traffic and realized that TenFourFox (FPR20) is continually making
web requests by itself.

It is accessing cloudfront and also amazonaws sites.

By turning off "check for updates", "Block Reported Ad Sites", and "Block Reported Web Forgeries" I was able
to eliminate this traffic.

While these things are all great to have on, it would help quite a bit if they would throttle themselves, or
be configurable to "check every <internal>" or something like that. Instead of generating continuous traffic.

When I saw that traffic, I originally thought that the browser had been compromised, as the behavior of
continuous network traffic when unattended and on a static web page was .. suspicious.

This is likely that this behaviour comes from firefox itself, and is not a tenfourfox issue.

The traffic was noticed because of the reduction in web bandwidth with "everyone working remotely
 or staying at home" which is currently occurring due to the corona virus.

While not a bug, just mentioning it because I couldn't find a reference about it in the tenfourfox bug database, and
it looked like it was compromised before I could find the time to track down the behaviour.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac