site login failure

Steve Warshaw

11 Aug, 2018 06:40 PM

Trying to log into web site of Acoustical Society of America, which I am a member of.

I get to https://acousticalsociety.org/ with Ten Four Fox parity release 8 and then the browser hangs up right there trying to connect.

https://acousticalsociety.org/

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 12 Aug, 2018 09:24 AM

I can reproduce the problem. Safari 5 with LWK connects fine on the same Mac running 10.5. Tenfourfox FPR9b1 simply displays 'connecting' but doesn't actually connect or load anything. NB that this is not a login failure. Still investigating what's wrong.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 12 Aug, 2018 10:05 AM

If I disable Javascript completely it loads. Ion/baseline make no difference.

Console errors include
    'ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined'
    'mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create'
    and lots of CSS errors.

3. 3 Posted by Steve Warshaw on 12 Aug, 2018 01:22 PM

Thank you!

I have another Mac running Sieerra OS and no problem getting in to the ASA site, so I do not have an emergency situation.

But I do have three addtional Macs, two running 10.5.8 (one is an intel chip model) and one 10.4-somethng. The older ones are nice,so whatever you do on 10-4-fox will be appreciated.

Cameron Kaiser helped me with a similar issue involving the Amtrak web site which resulted in Parity Release 7.

Let me know if I can assist.

Steve

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 12 Aug, 2018 08:56 PM

Steve, did this ever work in TenFourFox? I'm checking old versions for a regression window and going back to 38.10 the same error appears, so I think the site has changed and the jQuery they are using is no longer compatible with TenFourFox.

The site does detect different user agents and serve different code (for example, even old Safari 4 will work, presumably because it serves it different code). When I switch the user agent under Preferences > TenFourFox to Internet Explorer 8, the site loads, so that may serve as a workaround in the short term until I figure out exactly what about the version of jQuery it is using is bogus.

5. 5 Posted by Steve Warshaw on 13 Aug, 2018 12:23 AM

Hi Cameron --

Yes it had worked before. On the other hand the Acoustical Society has been revamping its web presence recently, so this could also be tied in.

You might want to talk to someone at the ASA about this. Here is a contact for doing that:

Elaine Moran
    Director of Operations
    Acoustical Society of America
    1305 Walt Whitman Road, Suite 300
    Melville, NY 11747-4300
    Phone: (516) 576-2360
    Fax: (516) 923-2875
    E-mail: [email blocked]

S.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 13 Aug, 2018 12:47 AM

Actually, I'd prefer that you contact them. Besides the fact that that's just more work for me to do (would you rather I was on the phone or writing code?), a report like that will mean a lot more to them from a dues-paying member than a random guy on the Internet.

I'll still try to see if there is some solution short of just blacklisting the script.

7. 7 Posted by Steve Warshaw on 13 Aug, 2018 09:19 AM

Understood. I'll see what I can do.

S.

8. 8 Posted by Steve Warshaw on 13 Aug, 2018 07:22 PM

Chris and Cameron --

I checked into the Acoustical Society web page just now (3:18 EDT Monday) using ten four fox PR8 on my Mac OS 10.5.8 to get a phone number and it worked just fine.

The login problems I had before seem to have disappeared.

I will continue to monitor the issue from my end.

Thanks for all your help!!

S.

To: "Chris" <[email blocked]>
    Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 5:19:20 AM
    Subject: Re: site login failure [Problems #8670]

Understood. I'll see what I can do.

S.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 13 Aug, 2018 07:57 PM

Yes, it loads, but there's a lot of stuff missing on the start page compared to Safari resp. what we get when we pretend to be IE8. It looks like we're still having problems with the jQuery library used.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac