almost too slow - I'm sorry

classicmac

10 Dec, 2017 12:19 AM

For all the great people at TenFourFox, all the wonderful programmers and developers who make it possible for all of us to continue using our PowerPC Macs instead of lining landfills with them, thank you so very much for TenFourFox. My problem is TenFourFox seems to be getting slower and slower, even with the latest 4.1 version. And I have last PPC PowerBook ever made: a late 2005 17" 1.67 Ghz Hi-Definition PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8 and maxed out to 2Gb of Ram and a custom 7000 rpm high-speed 100Mb Seagate hd and I use TenFourFox 4.1 7450. I'm sorry to say that I've had many times that I've actually had to quit TenFourFox and reload it because it would hang on all kinds of webpages. Is there anything we all to make it faster or perhaps put in a request for a faster TenFourFox?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 10 Dec, 2017 05:50 AM

Since your report seems to be that the browser isn't useable for you anymore under really any circumstances, I don't know what I can offer you. "Just make TenFourFox faster" isn't really a specific enough or reproduceable enough report for me to do anything with. For the record, I'm typing this reply to you in TenFourFox right now.

As you are running Leopard, perhaps Leopard Webkit would serve you better.

2. 2 Posted by KGB on 09 Feb, 2018 09:13 AM

The latest tenfourfox is not usable because it is slow. Go back to TenfourFox 45.5.0 and the problem is solved.

3. 3 Posted by Ivo on 16 Feb, 2018 01:27 PM

Well, just like the original poster I have to say that I very much appreciate you efforts, and at the same time acknowledge the same fault: FPR5 on my system (G5 dual 2.3/ 4,5 GB RAM/ 10.4.11) become incredibly slow after just mere days, beach ball spinning every now and again, and has to be restarted to return to some responsiveness (I have to admit that I have the bad habit of keeping the browser with several windows open at the same time and I suspect that this is the principal cause for the slowness and unresponsiveness I experience).

I see no other option but to go back to FPR3 or further. The original Firefox and later TFF were never speed-demons - Safari, not to mention Omniweb, were much more responsive - but with FPR4 I noticed decrease in responsiveness.

Once again, thank you for the generous work!

4. 4 Posted by keithgbeatty on 17 Feb, 2018 08:40 PM

Maybe Cameron can unwind his spaghetti code this year. If not I'd
    like a link to the old 39 versions. TenfourFox was a good fast browser.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 17 Feb, 2018 08:47 PM

Maybe Cameron can unwind his spaghetti code this year.

Statements like that imply I'm either incompetent, don't care, or both. It's not appreciated. If this were something I could easily observe and correct, given that I'm typing this reply to you in the very browser itself, I would. If you believe either of those things about the browser and how I maintain it, then you should be using something else.

If not I'd like a link to the old 39 versions.

If you mean 38, all old versions are available from SourceForge back to v.24, and certain major earlier versions. You can get them from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tenfourfox/files/

6. 6 Posted by keithgbeatty on 17 Feb, 2018 09:36 PM

Thank you,
    38.10 is a big improvement. Your altruism is appreciated. You did
    lose your touch after 38.10.

Keith

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 17 Feb, 2018 09:40 PM

Your altruism is appreciated. You did lose your touch after 38.10.

You're not keeping in mind that there was a big jump between 38 and 45, and 45 supports many things 38 doesn't.

If you have something constructive other than to be personally disparaging, I'm all ears.

8. 8 Posted by keithgbeatty on 17 Feb, 2018 10:10 PM

I cannot help you with programming. As a biochemist the best advice I
    can give is to begin eating Vitamin K2, menaquinone-7, to prevent age
    related diseases:

Asthma
    eczema
    psoriasis
    arthritis
    kidney stones
    bone spurs
    cancer
    osteoporosis
    heart disease
    dementia
    periodontal disease
    tooth decay
    diabetes
    Crohn's disease
    celiac disease
    Parkinson's

The best source is Japanese fermented soybeans called natto. Ask me
    and I'll tell you how I grow my own and make a palatable pate.
    Vitamin K2 can REVERSE heart disease, osteoarthritis, asthma,
    periodontal disease, et.al.

Many thanks again,
    Keith

9. 9 Posted by Ivo on 18 Feb, 2018 03:36 PM

I have no idea about programming, but like everything else perhaps Firefox has its limitations and there is a ceiling what and how much could be improved while still keeping it working on PPC.

I wish Omniweb 5 wasn't proprietary, and since it has been abandoned someone could take over and update it - it was, and still is, the fastest and most functional browser I ever used.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

21 Apr, 2018 03:48 PM
18 Apr, 2018 12:33 AM
14 Apr, 2018 10:59 PM