Is there a way to reset the browser window position when it starts?

Adam Albrec

10 Apr, 2014 01:48 PM

A few days ago, I moved the browser about half-way across the screen to compare some info between a website and a text file, and every since when I open TenFourFox, it keeps starting in that same half-way position. Is there a way to get the app to start in its default position again?

TenFourFox G4 7550

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 12 Apr, 2014 08:23 AM

Hello Adam, if you hit cmd+N, does the new window also open partly offscreen? If yes, move it back onscreen, close it, the hit cmd+N again. You may have to do this repeatedly, and/or restart the browser in-between. Also, if you click the green + window control, the window should maximize completely onscreen, and the next window opened should be in the same position.

I haven't had these problems with TenFourFox, but I've had my share of experience with other apps, especially the Finder. Generally, Mac OS X seems to be far more unreliable and unpredictable remembering window positions than Mac OS was. I haven't found a satisfying solution for this.

2. 2 Posted by Adam on 12 Apr, 2014 01:28 PM

I have tried a few things and this is what I've learned.

• New Windows open up in the right place.

• I have a saved session - when I deleted the sessionstore files from default, and restart, the new window opens properly - BUT, if I save a new multi-page session, it begins opening up in the wrong place again.

• Ran a scan of "places.sqlite" and it is fine.

• Deleting the LocalStore files made no difference.

• If I remove the Firefox folder from Application Support and start from scratch, the problem goes away, so is not from the OSX system.

There is something in the profile controlling this behavior.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 12 Apr, 2014 02:16 PM

This something, then, should be prefs.js, I guess.

Also, I'd try removing the Firefox folder in Library/Caches. The caches are per FF profile, so maybe something is stuck in there that doesn't get called with a new profile.

4. 4 Posted by Adam Albrec on 14 Apr, 2014 06:15 PM

On 4/12/14 7:16 AM, Chris (chtrusch) wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

This something, then, shuld be prefs.js, I guess.

Also, I'd try removing the Firefox folder in Library/Caches. The caches are per FF profile, so maybe something is stuck in there that doesn't get called with a new profile.

On Sat, Apr 12 at 01:28 PM, Adam wrote:

I have tried a few things and this is what I've learned.

• New Windows open up in the right place.

• I have a saved session - when I deleted the sessionstore files from default, and restart, the new window opens properly - BUT, if I save a new multi-page session, it begins opening up in the wrong place again.

• Ran a scan of "places.sqlite" and it is fine.

• Deleting the LocalStore files made no difference.

• If I remove the Firefox folder from Application Support and start from scratch, the problem goes away, so is not from the OSX system.

There is something in the profile controlling this behavior.

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Is there a way to reset the browser window position when it starts?.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

Fixed it!!!  Just changed my monitor resolution and then maximized.  Changed it back and maximized a second time.  Problem FIXED!!!
  5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 14 Apr, 2014 07:01 PM

Glad the problem is fixed. Thanks for sharing the solution.

By the way, the storage place for window positions is localstore.rdf, as I just found out; look for one of the entries for browser.xul#main-window. You can only edit/delete it if the browser isn't running, otherwise it will be overwritten or created anew with the old settings.

6. 6 Posted by Adam Albrec on 14 Apr, 2014 08:52 PM

On 4/14/14 12:02 PM, Chris (chtrusch) wrote:

7. Chris (chtrusch) closed this discussion on 18 May, 2014 06:59 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac