Keep getting Update Your Browser message using Hotmail with TFF 17.11 and 24.02

teamamerica

10 Apr, 2014 06:51 AM

As of this week, every time I log into Hotmail, I get the screen that says please upgrade your browser. I then have to click on 'continue on to your inbox" to get to Hotmail. I have tried this with the latest version of TTF 24.02 but also with TFF 17.11. Is there a workaround? Thanks if you can help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 10 Apr, 2014 07:21 AM

Teamamerica, do you see this with the latest verion (24.4.0) as well?

2. 2 Posted by teamamerica on 10 Apr, 2014 08:45 AM

Sorry. I meant to say 24.4 and 17.11. My bad. I tend to lean toward using 17.11 more often than not. But I have 24.4 on hand. Yes, I get the update your browser message on both versions of TFF 7450 with TIger 10.4.11 on PPC Mac non-intel of course. I have both 24.4 and 17.11 on my system, but obviously I don't use them concurrently. I simply put one version in an empty folder so 24.4 doesn't erase the other. Whether that is causing an issue in my preference folder with Hotmail, I have no idea. OK, thanks.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 10 Apr, 2014 09:16 AM

I'd try two things next:
    1) see if the problem persists with 24.4.0 using a fresh user profile
    2) see if you get the warning pretending to be Firefox 28 on Mac OS X 10.6 or higher using the Default User Agent extension.

I don't use Hotmail so I can't be more helpful right now, but I can well imagine they simply don't know Firefox ESR (=TFF 24.x) is a recent browser.

4. 4 Posted by teamamerica on 10 Apr, 2014 04:30 PM

Thank you Chris! That did it! I first had to import the most up-to-date list of User Agent Switcher. I then found Firefox 25 on Mac OS 10.6 Intel. I don't see Firefox 28 non intel on this import I did. But whatever. Even though I am using a non intel PPC, for some reason, Hotmail is fully functional using the setting of Firefox 25 on Mac OS 10.6 Intel. Gone is the update your browser window. Thank you very much. This saved me so much time wasted.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 10 Apr, 2014 10:07 PM

Alright, glad I could help. It's a sub-optimal solution because we'd like websites to know we're TenFourFox, though. One could try making a new user agent string

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; PPC Mac OS X 10.5; rv:28.0) Gecko/20140315 Firefox/28.0 TenFourFox/7450

and see if Hotmail's happy with that.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac