Ten Four Fox Install

Gregory

05 Mar, 2017 08:24 AM

I just downloaded ten four fox and opened the zip and dragged the icon into my applications folder.

I don't know how to open it now or it just doens't work.

I have 10.4.11 and the processor is 2 x 2.66 SHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

Do I have the right G5 for this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 05 Mar, 2017 09:08 AM

Hello Gregory, I'm sorry, you don't have the right Mac. TenFourFox is made for PPC Macs, and yours is a Mac (Pro?) with Intel processors.

You can either update your Mac to the latest supported OS X version (likely 10.7) and install Firefox 45 ESR, download here:
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/
    (10.7 doesn't have Rosetta and will be unable to run any PPC applications)

Or (not really recommended and unsupported) keep your Mac at 10.4 and download the G3 version of TenFourFox, which will run in Rosetta mode.

2. 2 Posted by Gregory Ekmekji... on 06 Mar, 2017 12:42 AM

oh I don't have the right mac? no wonder. Thank you.

so I should download the G3 version? that will be ok? what does that mean it will run in the Rosetta mode?

The reason I don't want to upgrade the OS is because it may mess up my Final Cut Pro files on the computer.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 06 Mar, 2017 01:32 PM

Gregory, if you cannot update your OS, you can try the G3 version, it should run OK, but we don't support this. I.e., if it crashes or anything else doesn't work, there will be no help here. You should be aware that running 10.4/Intel is pretty much the least secure OS X setup imaginable when the Mac has internet access. You should consider using this Mac for Final Cut only and use another Mac for web browsing.

Rosetta is a PPC emulator that Apple shipped with the Intel versions of 10.4 - 10.6. This means you can run software that was designed for the PPC architecture on your Intel Mac. However, this comes with a performance penalty, and not all PPC applications will work.

4. 4 Posted by Ekmekjian, Greg... on 06 Mar, 2017 05:37 PM

Glad there are some humans we can actually talk about this☺

Thanks Chris.

Yah I’ll definitely try to the G3 version. I mean the internet still works fine and all…but you know I’m just having trouble RECENTLY viewing video on youtube that’s all. So if it crashes, then I can just go back to using the regular firefox, safari, etc I guess.

What do you mean the least secure? You mean using the internet with 10.4.1? I just go on youtube, google searches.

So I should just use this internet for just FCP? No internet at all?

Ok cool so my cpu has Rosetta built into it then.

Thanks Chris…I’ll download G3 version and see how it works.

Yah these macs are pretty powerful and last so long…I will eventually get myself a mac pro laptop…no more desktops for me.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 06 Mar, 2017 06:37 PM

Malware is usually compiled for Intel Macs (not PPC), and 10.4 hasn't received security updates for ages (Apple's now at 10.12.x), it doesn't have Apple's malware protection nor any of the modern security features introduced with 10.7 and after. Worst of all, there are no up-to-date web browsers for 10.4/Intel anymore (except, in a way, TenFourFox). The only way to make it secure is: no internet.

6. 6 Posted by Ekmekjian, Greg... on 06 Mar, 2017 06:59 PM

Thanks Chris. What do you mean compiled?

So you mean the 10.4 that I have today…it doesn’t have that security feature on it anymore?

Well so far so good. I basically just get on youtube anyway and at times ebay. But maybe not a good idea to log into any bank websites and such right? keep it as simple as possible or worst like you said no internet☺

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Mar, 2017 04:00 PM

Compiling means: A computer program is translated from a (human readable)
    programming language to machine code. The latter is processor-specific, i.e.
    it runs on Intel OR PPC processors only. (Please let's not move too far away
    from the TenFourFox topic, this is not a general computer help forum.)

8. 8 Posted by Ekmekjian, Greg... on 07 Mar, 2017 06:23 PM

Sounds good Chris☺

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Aug, 2017 01:07 PM
19 Aug, 2017 05:39 PM
19 Aug, 2017 04:10 PM