Can't get to the logon screen for pay.gov

Charlie

22 Mar, 2014 05:01 AM

I have tried to go to the subject site but it just keeps showing the status as connecting and then just stops. No message to say what happened. The site probably doesn't recognize my computer since I changed browsers from safari to tenfourfox. How do I know what my encryption level is because maybe that's it.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 22 Mar, 2014 05:07 AM

pay.gov works properly (or at least I do get a login and password box) on this end. This sounds more like a problem with your network. Please make sure you're using 24.4, as well -- you didn't indicate which version in your post.

2. 2 Posted by bantum_1_cwa on 22 Mar, 2014 06:38 AM

I am using 24.4. This is a great browser. All my other sites work just great. I've been suffering with safari for so long that I was surprised how fast the sites load. I did finally get a message as follows:
    The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that       TenFourFox is permitted to access the Web.

I don't think the site was busy, the network is obviously connected, I don't have a firewall, and I have the proxy to be automatically detected for the network. I think it just timed out for some reason.

3. 3 Posted by bantum_1_cwa on 22 Mar, 2014 05:53 PM

I used safari to try and get the site but it does the same thing now. So I think your right. I changed something to make this one site inacessible. I'll keep trying and will get back to let you know what happened if I find out.

Thanks for your support. Again -great browser - it will be my default. I don't have to trash my computer after all !!!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 22 Mar, 2014 06:28 PM

One thing you could try is seeing if there is a free wifi zone in your area, like a Starbucks or something similar, and trying to connect to pay.gov from there. If that works, then you know for certain it's your network at home, and you may wish to call your ISP's technical support (you should simply tell them Safari doesn't work; they're likely not to support browsers they don't know about, even though they ought to).

If you do find an offending setting that set this off, post it here so that others who have a similar problem can benefit from the solution.

5. 5 Posted by bantum_1_cwa on 24 Mar, 2014 04:47 AM

I've been working hard trying to find out why I couldn't get to the login page for pay.gov. I'm happy to report that I found the problem. I used the network app in the utility folder of safari and performed a trace on the route between my server and pay.gov and discovered that it made a lot of hops but then was getting nowhere. I also did a ping on pay.gov and nothing got through. Since I knew that pay.gov was working (from the input you provided) and I could get to all other sites that were highly encrypted from my end, I was baffled. As you suggested, I connected to another wireless network at my friends house and low and behold it went through (didn't pay my bill yet though). I decided to look at my network a lot closer and update any software that could be updated. To make a long story shorter, it turn out that my airport express extreme was at version 7.4.2 and could be updated to 7.6.4. After the update I not only got through but for some sites that had been taking up to 5 minutes to connect, I connected almost instantly. It took me two days to get it right. But the lesson learned is that since we are not getting automatic reminders, we have to periodically check for updates manually.

I'm now going through my other often used apps to check that I have the latest versions being careful that they are compatible with my OS.

I'm a happy camper!!
    Thanks for support.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 24 Mar, 2014 05:00 AM

Definitely a good reminder for other users with a similar problem to check their router software. Thanks for reporting back with your solution and I'm glad you're back in operation.

I will close this ticket; no reply is needed. If you want to reopen the ticket, any reply will open it again.

7. Cameron Kaiser closed this discussion on 24 Mar, 2014 05:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Aug, 2019 08:37 AM
22 Aug, 2019 10:51 PM
22 Aug, 2019 10:44 PM