TFF 24.3 crashes while/after Session Restore

1b95b02e

14 Mar, 2014 05:57 PM

as the subject says, i have ongoing problems using TFF 24.3 on my G5 2.3Ghz / OS 10.5.8. I do use masses of simultanely opened tabs and imagine this may nees a huge load of ram and so ... So sometimes TFF does slow down, beachball is turning while every single & minmal action and sometimes i have to force quit TFF so. After restarting and while looking into the tab with its option to restore the last session TFF crashes suddenly again. Restarting does produce immedeately crash again. What i possibly can do, erase some files, where?

1. 1 Posted by 1b95b02e on 14 Mar, 2014 09:36 PM

in addition:

... and most crash happen "silent", no announcement is given. Also if this crashes may happen some more times. Then it's impossible to get it to work again, a system restart is needed.

Using alternativly 24.2 might work better but with disadvantage of an unsecure version ... and sometimes same behaviour as 24.3. I do like working with TenFourFox and would love to use it on, but have to eleminate these problems. Any ideas?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 14 Mar, 2014 11:57 PM

The first thing I would do with intermittent crashes is a profile reset (see link at lower right).

However, are you sure you're not having some issues with your OS or the hardware?

3. 3 Posted by 1b95b02e on 15 Mar, 2014 09:13 AM

thanks.
    yes, this reset i did just a few time before. And it did work fine for some days ...
    Otherwise you may be right, my system is a really longtime running, should have some hints inbetween?

About my question if there should be one/some file to delete if TFF is making problems - for safari i did look into the library and delete the LastSession.plist, after that it run as good like before - are there anywhere some similar files to erase?

something else:
    Sometimes when i'm using Safari & TFF parallel, one of them do stop working and i hae to quit it and after a short while the other came up hanging too, it seems to me as if they both are interacting in some unknown way.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 15 Mar, 2014 05:24 PM

That sort of "interaction" is exactly why I'm suspicious you might have a hardware problem. RAM would be the first thing I'd think of.

That said, resetting your profile should remove those files. If you want to start totally clean, however, remove the Library/Application Support/Firefox folder in your home folder. This will remove all your settings, including bookmarks, cookies, custom settings and addons, so backup what you want to keep first.

I suspect, however, this will not fix the problem. I would find the test disc for your computer and see if there is a problem with your memory or logic board.

5. 5 Posted by 1b95b02e on 18 Mar, 2014 07:41 PM

thank you or all your good suggestions!

Macs System-Selftest & Memory Information says it's ok,
    but test disc i have to run although if i'll find it sometimes anywhere.

even though i'd install the addon "Suspend Tab" and additionally quit ClamXav btw. its Sentry it always crash again ... it does look as i should have to make a fresh install of my os. grr

Chears

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac