Vimeo and other video's not playing anymore

Rav

10 Dec, 2013 03:58 PM

Hi,

After updating to version 24 I cannot play vimeo anymore in tenfourfox. Is there a workaround for this?
With an Add-on I've got youtube to work again, but Vimeo and facebook video's wont work. Also tried the QTE and MacTubes Enablers, but they also don't work.

I'm running TenFourFox 24.2.0 on a G5 PPC mac.

Gr,
Rav

1. 1 Posted by Rav on 10 Dec, 2013 04:03 PM

embedded youtube video in facebook and also facebook video's do not work anymore...

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 11 Dec, 2013 12:32 AM

24 no longer supports plugins, period (if you turned them on in the unsupported configuration for 17, they won't work now). For Vimeo, you can download the video to disk to play; there are a number of addons that will facilitate this. For embedded YouTube videos, the QTE works for some; for others, you can usually right click to open it in a new window, and QTE or MTE will work with that.

QTE and MTE don't work with Vimeo, so that won't solve your problem.

3. 3 Posted by Tom Gray on 11 Dec, 2013 10:17 PM

What do you mean to right click with an imac G3? I always run into this same type of response whenever I inquire about video playback. Also, your instructions about video playback options are vague to say the least, as well as the instructions from the links to video options that you provide. I have yet to determine how to make video activate from my desktop. I just keep clicking and mousing until something positive happens.
    And just how do I send this file. I see no obvious option.
    Thanks,
    Tom Gray

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 11 Dec, 2013 11:17 PM

Tom, if your primary use of the browser is Flash-type video, you really should simply bite the bullet and get an Intel Mac -- there is never going to be another release of PowerPC Flash again, and I have no plans to expend significant work in supporting the aging version that exists. You don't pay us for this; you don't have to use it. I can't tell from your reply how to make the directions better.

For the record, however, if you don't have a two-button mouse, Ctrl-Click will also work as a right-mouse equivalent.

5. 5 Posted by Tom Gray on 12 Dec, 2013 04:54 PM

Thanks,
    Your Ctrl-Click tip was helpful. Of course, you are right, I should
    bite the bullet and rely on a different computer. But I have bought 4
    imacs (insurance policies against having to do that}. When the time
    comes to bite the bullet, I will keep my horses working as long as I
    can, take the one I use daily offline, and buy something cheap for
    Internet use only. I could personally do without Internet video. I
    wish it would disappear. I have been waiting for years for it to
    become a reliable and useful option instead of a neovelty. I don't
    want the computer for entertainment. I want it for the work that can
    be accomplished with it.
    Tom Gray

On Dec 11, 2013, at , Cameron Kaiser wrote:

6. 6 Posted by Steven Mushynsk... on 13 Dec, 2013 04:58 AM

Kindly take note that MANY users of TenFourFox do not share your intense disdain of plugins and had re-enable plugins in their copies of TenFourFox and take personal responsibility for any stability or security implications.
    It appears that you have taken positive action in v24 to interdict such personal preferences in order to forcibly comply with your own personal anti-plugins bias.
    Your reply to this question poster is tantamount to 'you don't pay for it. If you don't like it, bugger off, dump your G3/G4/G5 and buy a new computer'. Look at this fro a user's point of view: This is a rather astounding and frankly obnoxious expression of 'attitude' on your part.
    Kindly take a moment and consider the wishes of the many who politely do not share your anti-plugins bias and reconsider your continuing to block the use of any plugins. To not do so sends a message that 'your G4 is junk now, unless you set it up the way I want it to be" and such a message is anathema to us typically individualistic Mac users. Website development work such as I engage in REQUIRES the option of viewing videos from multiple sources of multiple types.

7. 7 Posted by Rav on 13 Dec, 2013 03:56 PM

What about SoundCloud. I read somewhere that there is a solution for SoundCloud, but I cannot recall where I read this.
    SoundCloud should be a html5 player, but I still get this message: "You need Adobe Flash to play this track. Please install Flash and reload the page."

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 13 Dec, 2013 05:22 PM

SoundCloud needs mp3 capabilities for html5 playback as far as I'm aware. Which Firefox on the Mac doesn't have (yet).

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 13 Dec, 2013 05:34 PM

Correct. If you can get a direct link to the MP3 itself, however, QTE can (usually) play that; right-click it and select Open Link in QuickTime.

MP3/MP4 support is under development, but won't be part of 24, unfortunately.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 13 Dec, 2013 06:14 PM

Steven, your comment ended up in our spam folder, sorry about that.

Please read the release notes, section "TenFourFox no longer supports plugins or Flash"
    http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wiki/ReleaseNotes2420 – also for recommended alternatives to Flash.

In short, plugins don't work anymore in TenFourfox. Not because we don't like them. This has technical reasons (Mozilla, plugin vendors) and security reasons, both of which we aren't responsible for. So even if we wanted them to and had the resources to maintain their browser integration, plugins wouldn't work.

If you need plugins, the only thing I can recommend is to keep TenFourFox 17 or use Safari. Or buy an Intel Mac.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac