TenFourFox7450 wont' Quit with "saving no"

DickGuertin

27 Nov, 2013 09:12 PM

With TenFourFox7450 active on a ppc7450, an Applescript that tells the Application to "quit saving no" not only doesn't Quit the application, it puts in a state where not even Cmd-Q can quit the application. I have to Force Quit to get it to go away. If I don't use the "saving no" option, it quits just fine. According the the TenFourFox Applescript Dictionary, "quit" is supposed to support "saving no".

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 28 Nov, 2013 03:50 AM

First off, I can reproduce (and acknowledge) the issue. But it's actually a bit more complex than that.

Technically, TenFourFox (and Firefox) don't support AppleScript at all (see Mozilla bug 237733 and others). The dictionary that you see is in fact just the standard dictionary that all applications provide without special support; this isn't actually part of TenFourFox.

If you simply tell TenFourFox to "quit" (not "quit saving no"), it will just quit. If it asks with a dialogue box before you do, you can adjust this from Preferences or the box itself. On my Mac, a quick AppleScript to tell application "TenFourFoxG5.app" to quit indeed quits correctly.

The "saving no" option does not work and in fact causes the app to misbehave, just as you have stated. But there's no dictionary to adjust to get around that, so the problem unfortunately is not fixable as is. In the meantime, use "quit" and it should do what you want.

Issue 164 is about adding a proper AppleScript dictionary to TenFourFox using abandoned code for Firefox. However, this requires some surgery on TenFourFox and is not something I want to do while we are very close to the Firefox source code. It will likely appear in the stable version after 24. If you are interested in learning more, you can follow the bug: http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/issues/detail?id=164

If this didn't answer your question, please advise.

2. 2 Posted by Dick Guertin on 28 Nov, 2013 04:25 AM

Cameron, thank you for the reply. I've used this Applescript on every
    version of Firefox from 3.6.28 through 22.0, and in all cases "quit
    saving no" always works. I made the same assumption about
    TenFourFox7450, which as you put it, misbehaves. My Applescript is an
    automated Shutdown process that directs all active applications to
    "quit saving no", and they all quit properly, EXCEPT TenFourFox. So
    I've had to code an exception into the script to use either just
    "quit" for any app_name containing TenFourFox, or "quit saving no" for
    everything else. I hate exceptions, because it doesn't allow for clean
    transportable code. I'm running an iBook G4, which has TenFourFox, and
    Firefox on a Mac-Mini, Imac G3, and MacBook Pro. But, it appears I
    have to live with the exception logic.

DickGuertin

On 11/27/13, Cameron Kaiser
    <[email blocked]>
    wrote:

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 01 Dec, 2013 05:52 AM

I'll close this ticket for the time being, then, but feel free to watch issue 164 in the future. If you have something else related to this, any reply to this message will reopen the ticket.

4. Cameron Kaiser closed this discussion on 01 Dec, 2013 05:52 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac