restart

gilbert

18 Nov, 2013 07:54 AM

I did a restart of TenFourFox with my add-ons turned off and lost all of my add-ons and all of my preferences...I use to have the ability to allow cookies or not and that panel is gone, missing...I wanted to just turn off my add-ons and bingo they were gone...it saved a bunch of stuff onto my desk-top in a file but I have no way of knowing where they go, so now I have to reinstall all the add-ons...I haven't looked about config yet but I'll just bet I have to adjust it as well...I didn't want a new browser, just wanted to turn off my add-ons so I could do work on my modem...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 18 Nov, 2013 11:14 AM

Gilbert, I assume you're on TenFourFox 17.

For disabling add-ons, it's easiest to go to Tools>Add-ons>Extensions and disable them there. But this doesn't help you right now.

If you click Help>Restart with Add-ons disabled…, the browser re-starts and then gives you the option to use "Safe Mode" (=temporarily disable add-ons, they will be re-enabled at the next re-start) or to "Reset" the browser (=deletes all preferences and add-ons, but keeps bookmarks and history).

If you clicked "Safe Mode" and your add-ons were permanently deleted anyway, I must say I can't reproduce this on 17.0.11.

If you choose "Reset", the browser asks if you're sure before deleting anything. It will then procede and clean your old profile, saving it to your desktop in a folder "Old Firefox Data". This is probably what happened.

Your add-ons and preferences are still in this "Old Firefox Data" folder. You can restore everything back to normal, but it's a bit quirky:

1) Quit TenFourFox
    2) in the Finder, go to Macintosh HD>users>[your name]>Library>Application Support>Firefox>Profiles>[gibberish profile name]. Delete everything in there so you end up with an empty "gibberish profile name" folder
    3) Open your "Old Firefox Data" folder on the desktop, select everything in there and copy it into the "gibberish profile name" folder in Application Support you just emptied. Basically, you're replacing the newly created profile data (you don't want) with a backup of you old profile data this way.
    4) Start TenFourFox

If you're not sure what you're doing, get back to me and I'll try to help you further.

2. 2 Posted by onedman on 18 Nov, 2013 12:29 PM

Hey Chris, it all worked thanks...funny thing a while back I was
    attacked according to Snort and had to do dance with restarts and lost
    the bookmark bar on top so I'd been using the sidebar...when I just lost
    everything I got the bookmark bar back (with the new profile) now I'm
    back to old side bar again...I'll live with it...all of extensions are
    back up and the cookie panel is there...Thanks a bunch, Gilbert

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 18 Nov, 2013 12:41 PM

Glad it worked. For the Bookmarks toolbar, did you try View>Toolbars>Bookmarks Toolbar?

4. 4 Posted by onedman on 18 Nov, 2013 01:03 PM

Hey Chris...yep, the bar shows up but my bookmark folders don't load
    into it and it stays blank :-( I'll use the sidebar until the new
    browser comes out next month...it's cool man, thanks for your help, Gilbert

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 18 Nov, 2013 01:10 PM

This behavior is correct, the Bookmarks folder isn't supposed to show up in the Bookmarks toolbar by itself. You can drag and drop sites (tabs, urls) and folders on the toolbar. You could also drag all folders from your Bookmarks menu in there if you wanted, just click Bookmarks>Show All Bookmarks, and the bookmarks library will open.

6. 6 Posted by onedman on 18 Nov, 2013 01:26 PM

OH, now I feel stupid :-) it's a drag and drop thingy :-) why didn't I
    think of that? All I have ever used is a Mac and after 14 + years I'm
    still forgetful :-) Thanks Chris

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 18 Nov, 2013 01:54 PM

:-) Alright, I hope you're all set now. I'll close this ticket, if you have further questions, just re-open it.

8. Chris (chtrusch) closed this discussion on 18 Nov, 2013 01:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac