Brand new to Ten Four Fox, how did I screw this up?

e8cd6fc6

04 Oct, 2013 12:35 PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for breathing a little life back into my old Mac (e.g., Twin 450 mhz G4 running OS 10.4.11)! I recently discovered Ten Four Fox and installed, v 17.0.9, and it works great. I have been able to spend some time adding several Add On's that I've not been able to use until now. So, after spending several hours doing that I clicked on my old version of Firefox and it opened, but seemed to be a like a first time. When I went back into Ten Four Fox all of my Add On's except a couple are gone - just poof gone.

I really appreciate this application but I'm really surprised that you apparently download the Add On's compatible with Ten Four Fox into the old Firefox resources and when I went back to use that application - being incompatible with the Add On's it found - they were terminated something?

If I can't use both programs I'll stick with Ten Four Fox but can I just redownload and reinstall the Add Ons I was using? Do I need to c reate a new Profile? Do I delete the Old Firefox and if I do will that prohibit Ten Four Fox in some way? I guess I need to know how to get back to where I was and what to do going forward. I don't understand why Ten Four Fox is putting new downloaded Add On's into the old Firefox - but I need to move forward and feel like I don't know what to do, if I've screwed something up where both programs won't work properly or what.

Your advice and instruction would be very much appreciated.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 04 Oct, 2013 01:06 PM

Hello, you experienced this because TenFourFox and Firefox 3.6 use the same user profile. Modern Firefox and TenFourFox have now advanced and developed so much that the user profile is very likeley to be damaged when using old Firefox 3.6 and then switching back to TFF (or vice-versa).

If you don't have a backup of your user profile in the state it was before starting old Firefox, I'm afraid you'll have to re-install your add-ons. You can also create a new profile from scratch if you still experience problems; you can export your bookmarks if needed before deleting the damaged profile.

You'll have to make up your mind whether you want to use TenFourFox or Firefox 3.6. If you use TenFourFox, you can safely delete Firefox 3.6, just put the application into the trash or move it to a backup disk if you want to keep it for sentimental reasons. Just don't keep it in the applications folder because as soon as you click on it (by accident) you'll run into these problems again.

You can find your user profile in MacintoshHD/Users/[your OS X user name]/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

2. 2 Posted by e8cd6fc6 on 04 Oct, 2013 01:26 PM

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the rapid response, it is very much appreciated. I partially understand, to get my head wrapped around this - and by the way I did accidentally click on the old Firefox in my Dock from habit - when I did that did it actually delete the Add On's I installed via 10.4fx?

I went into the profile directory and found like Adblock Plus and I downloaded one called MaskMe to replace 1Password in 10.4fx and it still works after the problem - but I installed several others and don't remember what they all were called now can can't seem to find them there.

You know being treated like a red-headed step child for so long by both Apple and Firefox it's really sweet to be able to use many present Add On's with 10.4fx. Could they be stored in another directory somewhere where I can find them and write them down and go reinstall them?

3. 3 Posted by e8cd6fc6 on 04 Oct, 2013 01:37 PM

Oh, and one other question - I can't seem to find "View Page Source" for the HTML of a page in 10.4fx, is that deprecated?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 04 Oct, 2013 01:54 PM

Well, TenFourFox updates your old Firefox profile to a newer version when it's first started. My understanding is that old Firefox damages this newer profile and the result is that some add-ons are deleted or rather cannot be used anymore by TenFourFox. I don't exactly know what happens under the hood. I just see the result and I've experienced it myself.

Sorry to say that if TenFourFox doesn't display the add-ons and you can't find them in the profile folder (look in "extensions"), they're gone. Except for caches (which don't help you here) all data is stored in the Firefox folder in Application Support. You might want to look into you browsing history to see which download/add-on sites you visited to get some hints.

For page source: Tools>Web Developer>Page Source (or hit Command+U).

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 04 Oct, 2013 04:20 PM

Firefox 3.6 indeed does corrupt newer profiles (it doesn't understand the information in them). The process of upgrading to TenFourFox is one-way; if you downgrade, you may ruin TenFourFox's profile (we talk about this in the FAQ; see Help! Where Do I Begin?? below). Firefox deletes addons it does not understand or does not believe it installed, which will include later addons it does not recognize.

As Chris says, I would strongly advise picking one or the other. If you must run both, you will need separate profiles which we don't really support (for that matter, neither does Mozilla with regular Firefox). Once you have made the selection, you should reset your profile to start cleanly, and then add in the add-ons you like. Firefox 3.6 can be reset using a manual process; TenFourFox 17 and up has an automatic method which will preserve most of your data -- see How to reset your profile below.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac