10.4Fx 31.x crashes on start

Arny

02 May, 2015 01:08 AM

The machine in question is a PowerBook G4 (1.33GHz, 1GB), OS X 10.4.11. 10.4Fx 24.7 (7450 as appropriate for the CPU) works fine.

I've tried several 31.x versions and for different CPUs (7450, 7400, G3), but it always crashes on start with the message "The application quit unexpectedly." Details say:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000044

I have attached the full technical report (for the G3 3.6 version, sorry for the RTF format).

I've also tried after deleting the Firefox folder under Library/Application Support, it creates a new one and crashes just the same. What gives?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 02 May, 2015 07:35 AM

Hello Arny, maye Cameron can say something about the crashlog (I'm not technical enough), but the first thing I'd try is to create a new Mac OS X user, login to that user and start TFF from there. This way we can see if there's something wrong with your current Mac OS X user, or if your OS installation is broken.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 02 May, 2015 05:35 PM

The crash is a null pointer exception. This might suggest low memory in certain cases, especially if you have other things running (TenFourFox uses a 1GB stack, which could cause problems if your Mac can't map that address space in). That is the first thing I'd check. 31 does use more memory than 24 in certain situations although it will also release it more promptly.

Startup crashes obviously can't be reproduced locally (I'm typing this reply on a 10.4.11 iMac G4 in 31.6), so I second Chris' recommendation of testing with a clean user. Do not install anything else in that user's account or allow any other startup items to run before you run TenFourFox. It's also possible that a kernel extension or other system process is interfering in a way that 24 will tolerate but 31 does not.

If this doesn't work, using the same clean user (so that variability is reduced), next try to start in safe mode with the Option key held down as you double-click the TenFourFox app icon. If this allows the app to function, this means something on your system is conflicting with the JavaScript JIT.

If that doesn't work, I don't have any other suggestions.

3. 3 Posted by Arny on 04 May, 2015 05:41 PM

Thank you very much for your answers!

I've tried as you suggested; first, I created a new user, but when running from that account, TFF also crashed just the same. Tried starting it in safe mode (with option key) but it crashed again. No solution so far...

Now that you've mentioned "safe", I've also tried doing Safe Boot and then starting TFF and it worked; both from the new as from the original account. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work when booted normally...

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 04 May, 2015 06:43 PM

This means you may have a third party kernel extension installed on your system that doesn't play well with Tenfourfox. Might be anything that requires your Admin password when you install it. Anything that changes the look of the Max OS X user interface, anything that can automatically "free resources" or "pause unneeded processes" in the background. May be hard to find if you have lots of software installed.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• tfferr.rtf 28.1 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac