Safair Bookmarks Won't Migrate

Derek S.

05 Dec, 2012 10:44 AM

I just tried your browser, but my Safari Bookmarks (Safari 4.1.3) won't migrate, even though TTF says the transfer was successful. Also, when I manually try and transfer them, Bookmarks.plist is grayed-out. Thanks for your ideas!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 05 Dec, 2012 02:38 PM

Please give us a screenshot of what you mean by "greyed out" so we can see which window is involved. Also, please indicate which version of TenFourFox.

2. 2 Posted by Derek on 05 Dec, 2012 06:56 PM

Hey guys, thanks for your reply. I don't know what's up, but I just tried to send you the screenshot you wanted, but the browser wouldn't send the "Comment."

The version of TFF I'm working with is 17.0.1, and the "grayed-out" Bookmarks.plist is in it's normal Safari folder, under 10.4.11. It's not "grayed-out" normally, and Safari can work with it just fine, and I can migrate it to other copies of Safari, and also to Firefox.

Sorry to have to write this all out, but when I tried to send the screenshot, TFF accepted the file, but the "Comment" would not transmit. I thought you would like to know about this, too.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 05 Dec, 2012 07:50 PM

Derek, I'm not sure whether I understand correctly what you attempted, but I can say as much: The data import function for Safari (Bookmarks etc.) does indeed not work. I just tried it with Safari 4 on 10.4, as well as Safari 5 on 10.5. TenFourFox 17.0.1 says Import Complete, but no bookmarks are added.

As a workaround: Have you tried exporting you Safari bookmarks as html (File>Export Bookmarks in Safari…) and them importing them to TenFourFox (Bookmarks>Show all Bookmarks>Import Bookmarks from HTML)?

4. 4 Posted by Derek on 05 Dec, 2012 07:59 PM

You guys are fast. Thanks! Yes, I tried doing the import-thing, but the Bookmarks.plist was "grayed-out," and could not be copied. Then, when I tried to send a screenshot, as you requested, the browser would not transmit the "Comment," as I alluded to in my previous post.

5. 5 Posted by Derek on 05 Dec, 2012 08:06 PM

So, we both can see that the normal 'data import function' states that the Import is Complete, but no Bookmarks are actually added.

Okay, so what I'm also trying to say is that the HTML-import process also does not work, as Safari's Bookmarks.plist is grayed-out, and therefore cannot be selected.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 05 Dec, 2012 08:25 PM

The html import function only works with .html files. Not with .plist files. This is not a bug. You need to export Safari's bookmarks to html first.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 06 Dec, 2012 11:19 PM

Derek, while clearing our spam sieve I may have accidentally deleted one of your messages that had ended up there instead of restoring it. If that's the case – I'm sorry, can you re-send your message, please?

8. 8 Posted by Derek on 07 Dec, 2012 06:28 AM

Thanks for your reply, Chris. Do you happen to know when the Safari data-import function (Bookmarks, etc.) will be working again? Thank you for your time.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Dec, 2012 10:25 AM

The function broke between TenFourFox 13 and 14. I'm currently investigating if this is our bug or Mozilla's. It will likely be repaired, but I can't say how long it'll take. For the time being, you can still use the html method to import bookmarks. Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Dec, 2012 12:51 PM

After further investigation: This is Mozilla's bug, and they're working at it. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=801450. The html importer right now also doesn't work, but only for Safari bookmarks.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 07 Dec, 2012 02:28 PM

The fix on there is trivial, so if Mozilla chooses not to land it on 17ESR, we will take it ourselves for 17.0.2. This is being tracked as issue 194. Derek, thank you for the report.

12. 12 Posted by Derek on 07 Dec, 2012 06:59 PM

Thanks!

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 06 Jan, 2013 11:43 PM

Derek, this patch has landed on the RC of 17.0.2. You can try it if you like from the Downloads tab: http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/downloads/list

It will become official on Monday night. Thanks for reporting the issue.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Jan, 2013 01:26 AM

It's weird: HTML import of Safari generated bookmark files now works, however the "Import data from another browser" function still doesn't do anything. So these are two different bugs.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 07 Jan, 2013 03:45 AM

Yeah, this is specific to that. I can look into "from another browser" separately, but I didn't obviously note a Mozilla bug related to that. Have you?

16. 16 Posted by Derek on 07 Jan, 2013 05:37 AM

Thanks Cameron and Chris.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Jan, 2013 11:44 AM

I couldn't find any Bugzilla entries related to that, only the HTML import problem.

I fired up Virtual PC to look into the Windows XP side of things. FF 17.0.1, as expected, doesn't import HMTL bookmarks file generated by Safari 5.0.6 (Mac 10.5) and Safari 5.1.7 (Win XP). This should be fixed in the current nightly or Aurora 19. However, Import data from another browser (Safari 5.1.7 Win XP) works (!)

Now I don't know if our PPC Safari versions are simply too old for the current FF data importer, or if there is another (endian? TFF? PPC-specific?) bug. The importer is broken on Aurorafox 19 as well. It imports no bookmarks, settings or any other data at all.

I can't test FF on Intel Mac right now, but I guess if the importer has been broken for the whole Mac platform for so long, there should be something in Bugzilla. The last TFF version with a working Safari data importer is 13. I.e., the function broke at the same time the HTML import also broke, so maybe the bugs are related after all.

18. 18 Posted by Paul on 10 Jul, 2015 12:54 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I only saw one other and that was closed. I've recently downloaded Version 31.7.0 of TFF and tried to import bookmarks from Safari 5.0.6 to no avail. I tried both methods using html and directly from another browser. I don't get any error messages and it says done but nothing gets imported.
    Thanks for any help.

19. 19 Posted by Paul on 10 Jul, 2015 12:59 AM

Never mind it worked

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac