Firefox 7450 stalls and won't open

Samantha

05 Oct, 2012 01:05 PM

Hi. I'm new to message board discussion. Not sure if this is where I should be to post my problem/question?

I'm using 104Fx 7450 for Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1.5 GHz PPC G4 (don't laugh). I installed 104Fx about a month ago, no problems then. I also use Safari, for video and other media. Sometimes they're open simultaneously and i'll jump back and forth between the two.

Lately, especially on FB, 104Fx has been hanging up due to scripts running. Last night I shut everything down, it took a bit long for 104Fx to shut down, in fact I had to force-quit. This morning, it won't load. OR it's taking much to long to load. I didn't wait more than 3 minutes.
Anything I can do? Am I in the right place to get answers? Suggestions? Aside from get a new computer :-) Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 05 Oct, 2012 03:21 PM

Yes, you are in the right place. I'm using TenFourFox on a 1.33GHz iBook to type this message to you. I'm not seeing those slowdowns, but I despise Facebook and do not use it personally. Perhaps Chris has some insight there.

In general, progressive slowing down of the browser indicates something in your profile that is stuck or accumulating garbage. The first step is to reset that. Look at the article "How to reset your profile" in the lower right. Follow the directions carefully so that you don't lose your bookmarks. Does resetting your profile get you some improvement?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 05 Oct, 2012 04:06 PM

Samantha, I use FB with TenFourFox on all my Macs, ranging from 400 MHz G3 to 1.3 GHz G4. It works pretty well if you aren't in a rush, but I disabled the warning for unresponsive scripts (see here: https://tenfourfox.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/211-unrespons...). I don't remember ever experiencing a hang on FB which would necessitate a force quit.

FB is very demanding both in scripts and RAM. I've seen RAM usage climb up to >1GB while using FB, so maxing out RAM is always a good idea. If you quit TenFourFox while it's taking much memory (especially if it needs to swap), this may take several minutes because it must clean up, and PPC memory and I/O isn't the fastest. Just let it do its thing and don't force quit it. When restarting after a force quit, TenFourFox needs to clean up as well (cashes and the like) and will probably attempt to restore the open tabs, which may also take several minutes.

3. 3 Posted by Samantha on 05 Oct, 2012 07:04 PM

Thanks Cameron & Chris. I think i'm going to start by disabling the warning for unresponsive scripts first...see how that goes...then resetting the browser.

Ok. I disabled the warning as per Chris' suggestion to Bob in that other thread. But there's this, which i'd like to try as well. How do I do this?:

"You could also disable JS for Google (and other heavy sites) with the NoScript or YesScript extension, which is what I do."

Yep. I also despise Facebook, but what's the alternative? AND why so much JavaScript everywhere? (gripes)

Thanks for your help...hope these suggestions work out :-)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 05 Oct, 2012 07:23 PM

I use this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yesscript/ Whenever there's a website that makes heavy use of JavaScript for no good reason, I put it on the blacklist, and the next time I visit the site, it won't take two minutes to load.

The bad thing is that Facebook (as well as some other sites) doesn't work without JavaScript, so disabling it there doesn't make sense.

Another extension that relieves the browser and your ageing computer from too much load is Adblock Plus.

5. 5 Posted by Samantha on 08 Oct, 2012 05:30 PM

Hey - Thanks for your help. I didn't need to reset TenFourFox, that first suggestion (turning scripts off) worked.
    I love your browser... now if we could get the video/media working... :-)
    ~Sam

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 08 Oct, 2012 05:39 PM

Glad that helped. Keep the profile trick in your back pocket in case that doesn't help you later, though.

There will be a new version of the QTE available for 17 when 17 is released in a few weeks' time. The QuickTime Enabler helps with HTML5 and YouTube video, but Google changed the YouTube H.264 URLs, so we need to fix that.

You don't need to reply to this thread if you're still in working order. If you still have an issue, though, reply and this thread will be automatically reopened.

Good luck!

7. Cameron Kaiser closed this discussion on 08 Oct, 2012 05:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac