Cannot import bookmarks from Safari

juniormarbles

15 Jul, 2012 09:24 PM

Tenfourfox 10.0.5 grabbed the bookmarks from Firefox, which are outdated (haven't used it in years).
How can I get my current bookmarks from safari, which I have been using up to now as my browser?
Thanks,
JM

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 15 Jul, 2012 09:44 PM

Go to Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks. A new window will open with five buttons. Click the one at the far right (the "star cycle" icon) and select Import Data From Another Browser, then select Safari.

This Mozilla help document is slightly out of date, but it will give you the general idea as well as another way if that does not work for you. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Importing%20bookmarks%20and%20o...

2. 2 Posted by Junior Marbles on 15 Jul, 2012 10:32 PM

"Import data from another browser", as you suggested, is not highlighted,
    and cannot be clicked.

see screenshot attached.

Best,
    JM

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 15 Jul, 2012 10:50 PM

This implies that TenFourFox is unable to see your Safari settings (it does work on my system). Even though this is for Windows, the basic steps here http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Importing%20bookmarks%20and%20o... on the link I gave you should give you the general idea. If this does not work for you, I'm sorry, I have no other suggestions.

4. 4 Posted by Junior Marbles on 16 Jul, 2012 06:55 AM

Could I possibly do this by dumping my old Firefox altogether, re-loading a version that will work on OS10.4.11, importing my Safari bookmarks to Firefox, and THEN trying to get the bookmarks folders over to tenfourfox?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 16 Jul, 2012 01:23 PM

I imagine it would work, but you would need to make sure you destroyed your old Firefox profile as well (under ~/Library/Application Support). Did exporting your bookmarks from Safari as the Mozilla support page suggested not work? I'm able to do both on our test systems, so I can't reproduce your issue.

6. 6 Posted by Junior Marbles on 16 Jul, 2012 06:23 PM

First, thank you for sticking with me and my problem!

I cannot import from Safari to Firefox, as you suggested, because I deleted
    the Firefox application and all its files, due to its bookmarks being
    outdated (then-current bookmarks had been automatically imported from
    Safari at the time I launched Firefox, two years ago).

Maybe that is why I cannot import bookmarks to tenfoufox, because it needs
    Firefox as a go-between?

Please enlighten, whether I need to re-load a current version of Firefox,
    in order to operate bookmarks in tenfourfox.

Thanks,
    JM

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 16 Jul, 2012 07:32 PM

You don't need Firefox as a go-between. The link Cameron suggested above (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Importing%20bookmarks%20and%20o...) explains how to export Safari's bookmarks to an html file and import that to TenFourFox (or Firefox). In short:

1) Open Safari. Click File>Export Bookmarks… Save "Safari Bookmarks.html" to your Desktop.
    2) Open TenFourFox. Click Bookmarks>Show All Bookmarks. Choose "Import Bookmarks from HTML" in the menu you screen captured. Select the "Safari Bookmarks.html" file from your Desktop.

Please try this first, it's the easiest way.

8. 8 Posted by B-G on 07 Aug, 2012 05:06 PM

I'm having similar problems with TFF 14. It can't import bookmarks neither directly from Safari, nor from an html file. Everything is perfect with 10.0.6 , instead. I also tried uninstalling, deleting my user profile and reinstalling, but this didn't solve the problem.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Aug, 2012 09:27 PM

B-G, what happens when you try importing bookmarks from an HTML file? Do you get an error message? Are the import/export menu entries greyed out?

10. 10 Posted by B-G on 07 Aug, 2012 09:42 PM

I choose the html file and I click on open, but then nothing happens. I don't get any error messages and menu entries are not greyed out.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Aug, 2012 10:41 PM

When you open this HTML file directly with TenFourFox (drag it into the browsr window or press cmd+O), does it show you the bookmarks as links, like a website?

12. 12 Posted by B-G on 08 Aug, 2012 11:06 AM

Yes, it does.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 09 Aug, 2012 07:03 PM

I've looked into this and can say that I'm able to reproduce the issue. TFF 14 can't import even a test bookmarks file generated by Safari (I used Safari 4.1.3 in my testing) with only two test bookmarks, while TFF 10 can. HTML files generated by TFF itself can be imported. I'll have to do a little more testing to say if this is our problem or Mozilla's problem.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 09 Aug, 2012 07:08 PM

It might be Mozilla's, but this is not confirmed:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=776527

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 09 Aug, 2012 08:51 PM

Tried it with Firefox 14.0.1 (Windows XP). Same problem, so this is Mozilla's issue.

B-G, as a workaround you could just import your bookmarks using TFF 10. TFF 14 uses the same profile folder, you can switch between them without any problems that I'm aware of. I do this a lot myself. If you want to be cautious, you can make a backup up of ~Library/Applications Support/Firefox first.

16. 16 Posted by B-G on 09 Aug, 2012 09:13 PM

Thanks for the help and for the great work you are doing with TenFourFox.

Importing bookmarks into TFF 10.0.6 then updating to TFF 14 is exactly what I did. It worked perfectly.

17. 17 Posted by B-G on 09 Aug, 2012 10:21 PM

Importing bookmarks into TFF 10 and then updating to TFF 14 is exactly what I did.

Thanks for your help and for the great work you are doing with TenFourFox.

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 04 Sep, 2012 10:29 AM

Great to see that at least the workaround helped. Please re-open if you have any further questions about this.

19. Chris (chtrusch) closed this discussion on 04 Sep, 2012 10:29 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Aug, 2019 08:37 AM
22 Aug, 2019 10:51 PM
22 Aug, 2019 10:44 PM