pdf link handling stuffed

davididac

16 Jul, 2014 03:39 AM

Handling of pdf link not working

File name not resolved
e.g., link
http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/bills/r5288_first-reps/toc_pdf/14145b01.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf

clicking on link results in 14145b01.pdf;fileType=application_pdf appearing in the Open/Save dialogue box and T4F attempts
to Open 14145b01.pdf;fileType=application_pdf
or if Saved end up with a file of the name 14145b01.pdf;fileType=application_pdf

I suspect that the handling of the file type or config file responsible has been corrupted but don't know which file to replace/edit etc

In Preferences -> Applications Under Content Type , has two entries Preview.app Document (application/pdf) and Preview.app Document ("application/pdf") and the Action is set to Always ask - it doesn't matter if the application is chosen and set to Preview.app
the app fails to open the file because it's trying to open 14145b01.pdf;fileType=application_pdf

T4F ver 24.6 (OS X 10.5.8) but I tried downloading the latest beta to see if the relevant config file was replaced, sadly no

Thanks
David

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 16 Jul, 2014 04:12 AM

Although the behaviour is strange, I don't consider this a bug per se. The file does download correctly, and if you give it a .pdf extension, it works fine in Preview. The server is assuming that the PDF will be loaded into a viewer plugin, and that's not what TenFourFox does.

The actual problem is that the server generates URLs with the ;fileType=application_pdf appelation. If you remove that (starting with the semicolon), then it "just works." While I understand your frustration, their use of it does not follow any standard I know of, and I am generally not willing to special-case the download code for a non-standard situation.

2. 2 Posted by davididac on 16 Jul, 2014 10:52 PM

OK thanks,

I'll contact the web site manager and make an appeal for a change at their end. As it's a government body I don't think it will happen.

In the mists of time I recall being able to edit er MIME types? or file types and what applications would handle them, I don't recall the broswer.

If there is a config file I could edit for this special case I could do it - I just haven't poked around to find it.

Thanks
    David

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac