Updates - How to Install

Sally George

07 Jun, 2014 07:47 PM

i finally traced how to get the update and downloaded it. The Zip file opens to a .app(1) file called TenFourFox7450-24.5.0.app(1)

If I click on that it asks how to open it. Could you please inform me how to install it?

When I go to About TenfourFox, why does it say 17.0.11?

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 07 Jun, 2014 08:09 PM

Hello Sally George, if the unzipped file is named (1) in the end, you already have one copy of TenFourFox7450-24.5.0.app on your desktop or in whichever folder you unzipped. Close TenFourFox. Then put the file named TenFourFox7450-24.5.0.app into you Applications folder (this is all that's necessary to "install" it) and start it from there. If About TenFourFox says 17.x, you're still on a pretty old and outdated version. Once you have TenFourFox7450-24.5.0.app in your Applications folder, you can erase the old 17.x version.

2. 2 Posted by Eric on 10 Aug, 2015 01:13 AM

Thanks Chris. Your answer to Sally's question is really useful. I wish this instruction was on the page where we get the download. Version 7450 on my G4 Mac - I am going from 31.5 to 31.8. I normally do not expect to do a minor security upgrade this way.

3. 3 Posted by Eric on 10 Aug, 2015 01:58 AM

Hooray. upgrade complete - I opened my upgraded Browser and it reopened my windows and tabs exactly as when quit before upgrade. Here is a trick some may find useful: When you unzip your upgrade application on the Mac it may have the same name as the older version in your application folder. No need to remove old version from folder. Just select it and right click to "get info". Then add "-OLD" to the application name. Now you can drop the upgrade version into the Application folder without problem. -Cheers!

4. 4 Posted by Mary Jo on 11 Aug, 2015 01:22 AM

i would like to download Tenfourfox. How can I find out whether I need build 7450 or one of the other ones? terminal.app means nothing on my iBook G4 10.4.11.

Thanks.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 11 Aug, 2015 04:29 AM

Hello Mary Jo, to find the Terminal go to the Finder, Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities. However I can tell you that on an iBook G4 you'll always need the 7450 version.

6. 6 Posted by Chris on 11 Aug, 2015 10:52 AM

Hi, I've just downloaded the latest version - as I've done in the past - but for some reason my 'quick dial' or 'favourites' page doesn't appear as before. How do I get it back?

It's there if I close the new version and re open the earlier one. In the past it has automatically been there on the latest version.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 11 Aug, 2015 04:10 PM

Chris, unfortunately the quick-dial as you describe it now requires operating system features that are not available. This changed between 31 and 38, so the tab has been replaced with a blank page. You might consider using the bookmarks bar for this. Sorry.

8. 8 Posted by Chris Parrett on 11 Aug, 2015 04:17 PM

Cheers for that. It's a shame, but at least I know and won't be trying
    to get it to work.
    Oh well… that's something else I've got to work out how to use....
    Bookmarks. I've never bothered before. There were enough 'windows' (if
    that's not a dirty word?) in the quick dial (that's what Opera call it).

Thanks again,

Chris.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac