My present version of TenFourFox is remarkably slower to start than the previous ones.

Alberto Zeni

04 May, 2014 07:04 PM

Hello,
First of all thanks a lot for TenFourFox. I find it a splendid browser. I am using it with my Mac mini PPC G4 1.42 GHz 512 MB DDR SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 with satisfaction. I am writing this note as I noticed that my present version of it (24.5.0) takes much more time to start in comparison with the previous ones. I wonder why. I click on its icon on the dock and it starts bouncing, suddenly stops, after few seconds starts bouncing again and, at last starts. Where is the problem, according to you? My Mac mini is not working bad, and, every now and then I do the maintenance of it by means of an application named Onyx.
Best Regards,
Alberto Zeni

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris (chtrusch... on 04 May, 2014 07:17 PM

Hello Alberto, TenFourFox 24 takes more time to start than TenFourFox 17. This is normal, but once it's started, it should work alright and fast. 24.5.0 shouldn't take longer to start than, e.g. 24.4.0; if it does, I can't explain why. Also I can't explain the bouncing behavior in the dock. If at all, the browser should show this behavior only once, viz. when starting for the first time after it was updated to a new version.

If you notice general slowness, especially with apps that need lots of RAM (like TenFourFox): Your Mac mini is very short on RAM. While TFF will run with 512 MB, we recommend 1 GB.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Cameron Kaiser on 04 May, 2014 07:22 PM

The icon behaviour Alberto is describing can also occur when the browser is installing an update to a theme or add-on that requires a restart. It's entirely possible the system has a stuck update that is failing to complete; one idea is manually deleting and re-installing all addons and themes. A profile reset is never a bad idea either.

That said, Chris is right: 512MB will certainly not perform as well as 1GB of RAM, and is the minimum we support. The G4 mini will accept a 1GB RAM stick and both the browser and Tiger will run dramatically better.

3. 3 Posted by Alberto Zeni on 04 May, 2014 07:36 PM

Yes you are right,
    Once it started it is as fast as before. As for the little amount of RAM,
    my Mac mini is rather old (Apple does not support it any longer) and I
    don't know if it is worth while to change the 512 GB RAM stick with a 1 GB
    one. Maybe I had better buy a new one, but I am still fond of it (I am
    always using it even if I could use my daughter's old PC which is more
    powerful (2.8 GHz Pentium R dual core and 2 GB of RAM Windows Xp Pro and
    Linux Mint in dual boot).
    Best Regards,
    Alberto Zeni

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac